...Which was my first ever work!!!
Back in 3rd year college, we were required to experience being interns of any company concerning either PR, Advertising, Television or Radio. I didn't have any idea what or where I wanted to.. So what better way to solve the problem by doing what I usually did when I was clueless..
"Kung ano na lang gusto niyo, doon na rin ako!"
In short, wherever my friends wanted to drop their resumes to, mine would be included. Eventually, I ended up in a Production house for TV Commercials. There came one of the most life changing experiences of my.. err.. life. After a day or two of pure office work, we were going to experience a real shoot. We weren't really the ones who were in charge of preparing for all the requirements of the shoot itself so it was easy for us. After that internship, I knew I wanted to go back in that industry again. It was my dream job (which may be the reason why I totally ignored all our other majors. Never really took them seriously! Haha!).
A month after graduation, I found myself working as a Production Assistant in a small but really good Production House! Yes! And I'd love to share with you everything that I learned (and can remember!) about this industry that I once loved.. and left for good.
1. You must be willing to learn
When I started out, I wasn't really sure what to ask or say to my Production Manager. I just sat at the table and listened to them yap away about things that I never really understood. That day, my boss tested me by asking "So saan ang shoot niyo? Location or studio?". I had no frakkin' idea so I said "Hindi ko po sure. Pero bahay po ang hinanap nila". She just sighed. Talk about making a good first impression!
You see, when you start out as a trainee, there are production managers who would want to actually train you. Then there are people who'd simple ask you to do tasks and yet not even explain to you what the heck you're doing and what it's for. So my advice: Ask. Ask & ask.
After my first ever project, I still did not have any idea what a P.A does. Then came my 2nd and probably the biggest TVC we have ever made. My 2nd Production Manager was one of the best ever who was willing to explain and teach me about the world of production despite the busy schedule. She told me "Ask me, and I shall answer". She really wanted me to keep on asking her questions! She also instructed me to write notes about everything that she asks me to do and all the requirements needed per schedule like what to print out during feasibility meetings.. etc.
From that day on, I knew I would only learn if I was actually eager to. Curiosity killed the cat. But it sure saved my butt from being a laughing stock due to the lack of knowledge of the world I became a part of.
2. Loosen up!
There's nothing wrong with trying to be perfect in everything you do. Yes, as much as possible we try to avoid mistakes that could end up creating a mini-world war II with Producers leading the pack. But I tell you, nothing spells party pooper than a too serious Production Staff. Ano ka? Si Snape??
Smile! Have fun while actually doing your work. When you feel all stressed and pressured with all the requirements, breakdates or revisions, go somewhere quiet and take a breather. Inhale.. then exhale the stress away! SHOO!
3. NFF's are everywhere!
Does NFF stand for New found friend? If it does, hooray! For every project, you get to work with different people. Some producers have their own list of Ideal Production Staff. While others just want someone who could do the job and fit the cost. Anyhoo, for the past 1 year and 7 months, I had no idea how many friends I have made. All I know is that after every project, my contacts keep on growing and so does the number of my friends in Facebook. From Producers, to creative directors.. even the crew! I loved talking to people (who do not seem snobbish and are fun!) whenever I had the chance.
Post houses are also the best place to meet new people who are not really a part of your project. It's also where you could probably meet THE ONE (it's where I met PJ my love! Haha! Cheesy!). Editors, Production people, CG artists, colorists, directors and even the utility.. They are everywhere!! Once you start talking to them.. in a short span of time, they could easily relate to how you feel whenever you share something or could simply help you choose what food to serve for your interlock.
This is probably what I miss most about my work. Doing tasks and making new friends at the same time!
4. Be strong - Physically, Mentally and emotionally
Let's get physical! Physical! Let me warn you: this job could make you miss all the fun gimiks with your college or whoever your barkada is.
One minute you're in your bed trying to relax after a long day at the office and the next you are on your way to Makati to deliver a betacam or CD that the Producer's asking for. And then there are the shoots. My most memorable shoot would be the one for Sun Cellular. Not only was I late for about 5 hours, I arrived at the same time as the client! (Yes kliente ako, bakit? lol) but what's even more memorable with that shoot was that we started at around 9AM and were packing up at 2PM! It's a packing miracle!
That's the kind of shoot you'd want to experience. Another shoot you'd have to experience would be out of town or even out of the country shoots!! O kaya yung shooting na nagsimula kayo ng 6AM tapos natapos kayo 6AM na rin kinabukasan! Now that's more like it!! I think I found myself sleeping beside the VTR man for an hour or so?
This job also made me experience being a weight lifter. Imagine the agony of carrying plastic bags with 9 bottles of 1L softdrinks inside. Di na kailangang mag-gym!
What I am trying to say is that this is a tiring job. But you need to have this trait that also has the same name like.. it's a cookie.. Wait, What's that? Oh yeah.
Pasencia! Patience my dear. Patience.
Houston, we have a problem. There are problems that are not supposed to happen but eventually does along the way. What's important is that you think fast & find a solution to the problem ASAP! There was one time where about 10 identical trucks were needed for our shoot in Subic. On the day of the shoot, the trucks were nowhere to be found! Hindi daw dumating ang mga lintek na trak! Everybody was nervous. The grind was delayed. Good thing our Production Head was there. In less than an hour, trucks from different companies started arriving. I dont know how he did it, but boy.. He was great!!!
Umiiyak ka na naman, langya talaga wala ka bang ibang alam? And along with problems comes a bucket full of tears.. If you're a weakling that is!
If you ask me how many times I have been scolded by a Production Manager, I'll say.. kung ilan ang naging projects ko! Haha! At first, My way of releasing the pain I feel whenever I did something wrong was cry. I remember even crying to my boss over the phone! But you have to get used to hearing nasty things as days pass by. During my last few months at work, I no longer cried whenever I get scolded. Instead, I learned from my mistake.. then make fun of the person who got mad at me!!! (Partially true-Partially False! Haha!)
Just be strong. Kahit pa nawala yung mga files na kakashoot niyo lang nung isang araw, okay lang yan! Magagalit ang direktor mo but in the end, he'll find a way to fix the problem and then manage to complete a rough edit that is still presentable to the client and agency. It's not your fault that the harddrive malfunctioned. Hindi naman ikaw ang gumawa nun no! Western Digital kaya! Haha!
Or if you send a revised material to the producer without presenting it to the director first, apologize.. find a way to correct your mistakes.. Yes, take the blame.. But dont take it too hard on yourself. Mistakes happen. But you shouldnt lose your mind over it.
5. Time is precious. Time is gold. Time..
I've been passing time watching trains go by.. That's my song whenever I am at the Cubao MRT station and I couldnt get in. HAHA! In this industry, thou shall not be late. Everyone's got their own schedule to follow which is why it's important to REALLY GO WITH THE SAID SCHEDULE. If not, you are doomed. Or not. But it's a must to always be punctual or even about half an hour earlier.
6. SAVE!!!
When Nikka and I computed all the paychecks we got since we started working, we looked at each other and wondered "Nasaan na ang ____thousand pesos??? Parang hindi ko naramdaman!!!" You can reward yourself after all the effort you've put into your work. But don't spend it all in one sitting! I definitely learned from this mistake of mine. That's why I am begging you.. Save some for the future dear!!! Especially since you might experience this.. #7..
7. Follow your heart! "And when you realize that it's simply not making you happy anymore.."
Then do what I did. RESIGN. I believe that you wouldn't be successful in what you do if you don't even love it in the first place! I guess I just got uninterested, realized that my performance wasn't as excellent as before and became hooked in Baking than being a P.A.
Try to discover what you want in the first place. What you love doing. Maybe a hobby? Then find a job that fits the puzzle perfectly. It feels so great to get paid for doing what you love!! You'll end up saying to yourself "Is this work? I don't think so!!"
So I guess that's about it. The 7 important lessons that I learned. Now I think I ran out of things to say. But here's to hoping that somehow, I got to teach you a thing or two (OR 7!!!) about work. Doesnt matter if you're not a part of the TVC industry. I am sure whatever industry you're in, you could relate! Toodles! Caboodles! Instant Noodles!
No comments:
Post a Comment