Monday, February 06, 2012

Dear Lucy...

When I was little, my lola once served me this heavenly dessert she made for merienda. It was a simple, sugary custard like cake with a hint of cinnamon. I asked her what it's called after finishing off 3 more slices (I loved it THAT much). "It's Bread Pudding", she answered.

There were raisins which I never liked when eaten alone but loved when mixed with the custard. It was also my first time to encounter eating a dish with cinnamon in it. It was love at first bite. That's why I bugged her to make some whenever she can. She's really a great cook!

I've forgotten about it after my lola passed away 10 years ago. However just yesterday, my mind wanted to go back in time when I was always with my lola in the kitchen. I remember how I was her "assistant" and loved washing the dishes because my hands would be full of soapy suds. I was picturing lola in my mind all smiles when I had this sudden craving for her bread pudding. I imagined the taste of the cinnamon-ish custard in my mouth. And before you can even say "hullabaloo", I texted mom and asked her to give me lola's index card containing her pudding recipe.



I met up with mom today and I finally have it in my hands!!! THE recipe! :)
Just seeing her handwriting makes me miss her even more. I am lola's girl and I am proud to be one!
I shall make bread pudding this week. Hoping that it'd turn out great!

Oh. I still miss you lola. I hope you also help inspire me to write an amazing story for the Carlos Palanca Memorial Awards for Literature! Love your little girl, Camille.

No comments: