Tuesday, October 11, 2011

The Monday Summary

Dear Lucy,
I woke up still disappointed with the fact that our first ever attempt on making marshmallows turned out to be a failure. How could the syrup turn out like candy when it reached the required temperature? Oh yeah. We forgot to include the corn syrup.


I didn’t want to go to sleep last Sunday night without the assurance that:
1. The candy thermometer works.
2. If i follow the recipe, I will achieve the right syrup consistency.


I tried.. I put on some water, corn syrup and sugar on the saucepan. Waited for the candy thermometer to reach 236 F.. And voila! The perfect syrup! (No pictures. Was too busy. :P)
Now I can go to sleep.


Come Monday morning, I prepared all the required ingredients. Cleaned up my all my cooking utensils and hoped that finally, it would fluff up like magic. You might be thinking, why would I want to make my own marshmallows when I could just buy from the grocery? Simple.

I want to learn.


Besides, I’d want to experiment using them on the Brown Butter rice krispy treats that I’d be making for the love of my life. So it’s worth it.

Fast forward to my Monday attempt.
I was ready. Syrup’s done. Mixer’s running. And there I poured the smokin’ hot sugary syrup. The smile on my face eventually turned into a sad clown face when the mixture didn’t fluff up after 10 minutes. It ended up looking like a caramel sauce instead. WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?

But I haven’t given up just yet!!! I just couldn’t! I bought a stand mixer just so I could make marshmallows and I won’t stop until I get it right.

I tried a different recipe, one where egg whites were included. Followed the instructions.. And 10 minutes later, my stand mixer was whisking this baby..



All hail the perfect marshmallow recipe!!!! I can now move on to making my batch of Rice krispy treats!

One minor setback, I think I did something wrong here, for the marshmallow fluff, well.. Ended up not settling and turned out to be just a fluff. (Maybe the wrong choice of gelatin mix). Anyway, I used it to make the treats and all ended up soggy. But still pretty good if you’re not choosy and is into rice pudding. Ha ha!

In the end, amidst all the “imperfections” of the dished I made. I can say that I am happy. :) Next recipe please!

No comments: